Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I Said The Wrong Thing

Obviously I said something I shouldn't have.. like the word m-o-r-t-g-a-g-e. The spam bots picked me up like nobody's business yesterday. 9 comments?? I knew something was up. I don't even have 9 readers! Sheesh. Now watch me get spammed again!

I have to do something about work. I love the job, and it is not the problem. The problem is that I can't seem to focus or get anything done. I try to look at it objectively and say that I haven't missed any deadlines (yet) and that no one is unhappy with my performance, except myself, of course. But it feels like pulling teeth to even get one task accomplished anymore. There is always something (or more than one something) there to distract me. I get so frustrated because I miss things and make stupid mistakes!

And I am going to accept that this is not my week. I went to lunch today with my colleagues, at a little place right down the road from the office. We eat there a good bit. But today.. never have I been so shocked by the blatant stupidity of the wait staff at a restaurant.

I ordered a ham and pineapple 7-inch pizza.. standard fare at this place. We get it every time we go. It's not like I asked for something complicated or different in any way. I just have to stress that. So the pizza comes, and it has mushrooms on it. I don't eat mushrooms as a general rule, because the texture of them in my mouth makes me gag. I can't help it. I really actually don't mind the flavor.. it's the way they feel going down. I have the same reaction to raw tomatoes and oysters of any variety.

Anyway, I tell the waiter that I didn't order mushrooms. He looks at me like, "so? what do you want me to do about it?" He squits at the ticket to see if somehow the word "mushrooms" had magically appeared next to my seat number. Nope. So I hand him my plate and say "I can't eat this. I'm sorry, but there is a reason why I never order mushrooms." For all he knew, I could have been violently allergic. Lucky as hell I am not, because he waited about 10 minutes and brought back...

...wait for it...

..the exact same pizza. He had obviously tried to pick the mushrooms off, but was unsuccessful, as they were underneath the cheese as well. In addition, he left visible fingerprints. But here's the real kicker. He stood at the counter and performed this operation in sight of the entire restaurant, without washing his hands.

I looked at my boss and bit my tongue so hard it now has a permanent groove. After 10 years or so in the restaurant industry myself, I was ready to rip him a new bodily orifice right then and there. I refrained, and waited another 15 minutes for a new pizza, which I was then charged for, in addition to being the object of this particular waiter's bitter glares for the rest of our meal.

I swear. Every day is another adventure.

L will be home tonight, at least. He should be rolling in around midnight. It's about time.

1 comment:

The Princess said...

I would have ripped that waiter a new asshole!!!Picking off the mushrooms in plain view of you... they should have never made you pay for your 3rd pizza!!!!Well at least your not about to be hit with a huge storm!!!I don't want to loose power and sit in the heat for days!!! Well maybe it won't be so bad time will tell.... Summs &I had a good dinner.She has already asleep getting up at 5am is taking it's toll!!! Love you talk, to you tomarrow!!!