Sunday, June 24, 2007

One of Those Nights..

Do you ever have those days when everything that can go wrong does? That was us last night. It was kind of a "date night" and we had tickets to Harry Connick Jr. We decided to try a new restaurant in G'ville called The Lazy Goat.

Let me say from the outset that we were hongry. That's a step beyond just ready for dinner. L started the evening by asking me how far I wanted to walk from wherever we parked to the restaurant. I said "not far." I was wearing very high heeled shoes and a new dress:


So he parks in the Spring St lot.. about 4 blocks from the restaurant. Did I mention that there's a parking deck and a valet service on the same block as the restaurant? Yeah. And it was 100 degrees out. My makeup was gone within 2 seconds.

I tried very hard not to put on the bitch face, but it obviously wasn't working. I felt better when we got inside the restaurant, where I ordered a mojito and decided that it was going to be a good night. We ordered dinner. And then everything really started going downhill. Prices were $14-$30 per plate, and we ordered an appetizer and then an entree each. When our plates arrived, we were shocked.

They looked like the appetizers they make on Top Chef! We got enough food for one of us (maybe) on a day when we weren't particularly hungry at all. And it was waaaaay oversalted. So after we ate, we decided to go somewhere else and have dinner, for real. We decided to go to Smoke on the Water. So we took a walk through Falls Park, where L told me that I had passed the place, but I knew that SotW was the other way. Turns out he was talking about another restaurant altogether. When we finally got to SotW, it was so packed that we couldn't even get up to the bar.

By this time I am feeling really sick to my stomach and hot and sweaty and extremely put out because L didn't want to make a decision about anything. This was probably due to my extreme bitch face, which made its appearance anyway, despite my finest efforts.

So we turned around and went to High Cotton, which was closer to the Peace Center, where we were going for the show. We got there and I ordered another mojito, which arrived with a long black hair in it. I sent it back, and by the time we got our drinks, we no longer had time to order any food before the show. So, hot, buzzed, and stomachs growling, we went to see Harry Connick Jr.

Y'all, he rocked. It was a fantastic show! He played, he sang, he danced! It was amazing!

So after the show, we went to Soby's. I ordered dessert and coffee which seemed to put L out for some reason which I can't quite figure out. He had a salad. Then our waiter took like 900 years to bring our check, prompting L to eat the rest of my dessert (by that time I was definitely done).

By the time we got home, I was not feeling well at all. So now it's Sunday morning, and I may have to cancel my ride this afternoon, because it is so freaking hot outside. I don't think Trigger is up to a ride in this heat anymore than I am.

I honestly think I am getting sick. My head hurts, my ears hurt, my throat hurts, and my stomach hurts. I think the extent of my activities today may consist of ebay and laying out by the pool. Maybe.

3 comments:

The Princess said...

That bites...If you think your getting sick go to the DR. U have insurance, I knew I was getting Strep a few weeks ago and I went and got the Z pack. I still felt bad for a few more days,but nothing like I would have if I had got the meds.
L is a trip. Well, I'm gonna call you in a little it so tata for now.

joe hall said...

B, you & L need to stick to me 'cause Papa KNOWS what works & where to fill yo' face. It's the marina restaurant, tried-n-true everytime. Even when it's horrible, it's grand.

Oh sure it's a little far to drive from Easley, but while folks in Gville are staggering around in the heat & paying for $65 bucks for tomato slices & mayonnaise, I'm swilling down unsweet tea, watching possums fall through the ceiling and snacking on appetizers I sneaked in Baggies.

o.r.p. said...

I think a possum falling from the ceiling would have put the finishing touch on our evening, for sure!

If a possum made an appearance at a restaurant, I would DEFINITELY be bringing in my own specially sealed and sanitized baggies of food, for sure! :-)

--b