Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Strange Thing Happened on the Way to the BW..

An interesting thing happened yesterday.

Actually it didn't, but I've always wanted to start a blog that way.

Actually, I take it back, several interesting things did indeed happen yesterday. I ran some errands, of course, starting with taking my desktop computer, which hasn't worked in years, to Circuit City to be checked out. It took forever to get service, but it wasn't for lack of trying. They had one poor guy manning the whole computer repair center.. and about 5 Big Babies waiting to be served.

You've seen the Big Baby in action.. middle aged, entitled, angry that their computer is not functioning properly (which is probably their own fault) and anxious to take out their frustrations on the poor computer guy, who probably isn't even being paid enough to put up with their crap, much less fix their computer! One guy was very obviously a priest.. he was wearing the all-black-with-ecclesiastical-collar ensemble. I would dearly love to know what church he is at so I could avoid it like Hell.

I realize that it is terribly frustrating that your computer doesn't work, and that maybe it has taken you longer than you thought it should to get it back, but Mr. Priest Person, you gave a HORRIBLE WITNESS yesterday. You were rude, nasty, and a complete asshole!

At one point I had my computer sitting on the counter , waiting for the overworked employee to get to me, and Mr. Priest shoved it out of the way, almost knocking it onto the floor. I said, very respectfully (!) "I would have moved it if you had asked." He glared at me.

Another couple came in after I did and stood there glaring rudely at the poor employee, who was obviously working his rear end off. They began a loud conversation about how bad the customer service is at this place and how they should hire better help. Another lady stood there at the counter with the filthiest computer I have ever seen (I mean it had dust bunnies and spider webs hanging off, and some sort of liquid had been spilled down the front..), yakking on her cell phone about how she had been waiting forever and it was really irritating that she hadn't been served yet. And I came in before she did, too!

Finally they took my computer and I left for the BW. I found some pretty cool stuff, but nothing overly spectacular. I got a pretty formal dress from Watters&Watters, which I will sell on ebay. I got a few cute jackets and tops, but nothing to match the Suzy Perrette dress I found that one time. :-) Or the Coach wallet.

I went to get my oil changed after that. Nothing exciting there. But on my way home I stopped at the Mazda dealership to take a look at the Rx-8 in person. Wow. I mean Wow. They had an 04 model on the lot with the grand touring package.. red and black leather seats, sun roof, great stereo system.. If it were only time to get a new car already, I would definitely buy that one! I love it!

When I got home, L and I went to dinner at Mimi's . It was okay. They did have bleu cheese olives, and the martini I had was terrific. We had a talk about children and cars (as in, I am getting a sports car and he is keeping the dad-mobile,right? lol And can I fit a car seat in the back of the Rx-8.. the answer is yes) . Then we talked about church for a while, startlingly enough. We've never had that discussion before, but it seems we are definitely on the same page.

That is, church can be good, but with our common background of over-churched-ness, neither of us feel that going every Sunday is required or even desirable. We are both very sensitive to people who preach to us but practice the same sins in their daily lives as we do (and in a few specific cases, much worse!) and we both disagree strongly with a few commonly held doctrines and ideas of 99% of the churches here under the buckle of the Bible Belt.

The result.. we might go to church from time to time. We have our own faith and values and morals in which we believe very strongly. But we don't hate gay people, we don't believe in tearing people down because they don't have the same opinions as we do, and we don't think God endorses any particular church. Oh, and neither of us take very kindly to being preached at.

If you're our friend, this doesn't mean you can't discuss religion with us, or that you can't invite us to your church. By all means, do.. we might actually visit! Just know where we stand.. and that we aren't likely to respond well to people we don't know telling us that we're going to "haayulllll" because we like to have a drink on Saturday (or even Sunday!).

Just sayin. :-)

2 comments:

The Princess said...

Drinking on Sunday is one of my Favorite things to do!!! Nothing like watching the sun rise over Miami with a GG and Red Bull!!! hahahahahahahh JP. Or not..... =)

o.r.p. said...

I prefer martinis. ;-)
--b