Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mom Wars: Episode MCMXXIV

So last night I called Mom to see how she was doing. She can't really decide. First she is doing so well that they are going to have her walk home this week. From Arkansas. This is a fine hospital! She has money.. CASH MONEY, she says. She saved it to pay the taxes on her house in NC. She is going to use said cash money to buy a plane ticket to fly home. She figures if she buys a ticket, the doctors will have to release her.

When I tell her that I'm not coming out there or helping her buy a plane ticket until the doctor releases her, all hell breaks loose. Everyone is leaving her (GF is finally going home after 100+ days there, and because GM is having surgery the 14th, and because mom has been frantically trying to get him to leave for the past 2 weeks), and that she will get another infection or fall down again if I don't get her home because this hospital is every bit as bad as the last one.

All of this after I talked with the doctor yesterday afternoon, and he sounded very positive about her prospects for coming home... in 6-8 weeks when she can take care of herself again.

I lost my temper with her when she said "Just think of ME for once! How can you be so selfish?" Jesus H Christ, she drives me insane. I am being selfish because I don't want to break her out of the hospital and have her get a blood clot and die, or fall down and break her leg again, or any of the other terrible things that can happen to someone who has an open wound in the side of their body the length of my arm??? The staples are still in, for God's sake!

And of course she starts the "Oh Jehovah" nonsense, which seems calculated to make my eyes bug out. I couldn't help but tell her that if she had ever had occasion to learn about when to trust God, now would be it. But she doesn't and never has. She might pray until the cows come home, but you can't tell the Almighty exactly how to do his business and expect anything to get accomplished. He doesn't take orders. Sorry Mom.

Blargh.

The bottom line is that I am sick to death of melodrama. If anyone ever says to me again, " How could you do this to me?" about something over which I have no control or choice, I am not going to get angry. I am just going to laugh until I puke.

And now I am going to bed.. with nice clean sheets and a big fat novel.

Oh, and I watched Glory Road tonight. It was surprisingly better than most sports movies of its type. Lots of hilarious one-liners.

2 comments:

joe hall said...

Orp, Did you ever see "The Constant Gardner" or "Ghosts of Rwanda"?
What's up with your hand? Does it make a noise like "crrrch" or "unnnnk"? Just wondering.

o.r.p. said...

I did see "The Constant Gardener" and it was pretty good. I didn't see "Ghosts of Rwanda" though. The hand is ok.. It has a knot on it and it hurts if I move it a certain way, but aside from the occasional snap crackle pop, it doesn't make the funky crunch noise anymore. Thank God. That noise made me kind of sick...

--b