Sunday, August 27, 2006

List Number 427,659

1. The wine tour was great. Everything about the whole day was great, until after a phenomenal dinner, where I might have gotten a good buzz on, after which L told me that he could always tell when I was feeling the alcohol because that's when I started talking. I get serious about making a point, he said, and most of the time it's a point that doesn't need to be made. Why that infuriated me I have no idea. It's most likely true. But I spent the rest of the night in a cold fury. He has no idea, of course. I didn't say a word about it.. just let it steep in my mind until I was furious at the world and most of all myself for ever having anything to say in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid.. but unexpected anger happens a lot these days. Thankfully at least I kept my mouth shut.. at last I managed to do that. So everything is fine and now that I'm sober, the comment is rather innocuous.. not the smartest thing he's ever said by a long shot, but not quite the worst. It's certainly not the worst I've ever heard. So anyway.

2) While we were gone, the brand new compressor in the air conditioner crapped out somehow, after only a few days on the job, so once again we are without air conditioning. It's a million degrees out, with 100% humidity, as usual. I spent some time at the pool today with a thick Stephen King novel, then cooked steaks on the grill. L is sprawled on the couch watching a movie and trying not to sweat too much.

3) Mom is not doing well. I think her disaster magnet status has once again been upgraded, because apparently now she has more than one infection, perhaps more than two. It's really hard to say because she is slurring her words and talking out of her head. Worst of all, she realizes it and pulls herself back from it for a minute and I can tell that it terrifies her that she has been talking about god-knows-what for minutes at a stretch and not a word of it makes sense. It's a very scary thing.. I hope I hear something from the doctor tomorrow on what could be causing this newest (worst) development.

4) Jet lag sucks. This morning I felt like I had the hangover to end all hangovers.. but I didn't so much as sniff a drink all day yesterday. Right now, 9 pm-ish eastern time, it's 6-ish in San Francisco, and while I don't feel all energetic and ready to go party, i don't feel like sleeping either. In fact, I don't feel like much of anything at the moment.

5) Tomorrow it's band practice again, and before that I will drop in on my golden boy. I should hear from the trainer sometime this week about Trigger's trip to school. Got a lot going on, as usual, but not so much I want to write about at this second. So I guess this is the end of the list for now. Sorry it isn't more interesting.. but I am feeling remarkably uninspired at the moment.

1 comment:

joe hall said...

Haha, guess what's broke on this end?

Looks like the fan in the downstairs window AC ... which means I've moved to Ben.

I live in my driveway now. It's great; at least at 3 AM I can peer out at the driveway and see who's been dropping in.

Uh huh. Glad ya'll are back and safe.