Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Down to Business

Let's get right to the point:

I'm copying my good buddy and putting in a playlist:
Tift Merritt , especially Tambourine

Funniest Thing I've Heard All Day:
"No, it's not counterintuitive!!! It's just backwards!"-- Heard at work.. where else? :)

Last night we had one of the best dinners on record. Fresh corn on the cob, grilled in the husk, baked potatoes, and steak (of course!) with a very interesting citrus marinade courtesy of L. It was so good I was very sorry when I finished eating. It was unfortunately too hot for wine, though. The air conditioner is still on the blink, so it was 86 degrees at 8 pm in our house.

Then we watched Hotel Rwanda. I am surprised that I didn't have nightmares. That is a very powerful movie, for two reasons: 1) I've been to Africa and seen first hand how quickly a situation like that can arise. A mob can form there it the split second it takes to open a car door. 2) It really happened. We really abandoned those people and left them to be killed by savage, crazy renegades. They really had to "shame" us into helping. Now I am normally politically conservative, more libertarian than anything else.. but that bothers me.

It also gave me that same anxiety, clenched-stomach, sick feeling that the concentration camp stories used to. I can't understand or fathom what makes some people tick.. what has to be wrong with people for them to think those kinds of actions are acceptable?

But that's way too deep for this morning. I am honestly struggling to stay awake and coherent. Can't really say why. I could sleep straight through for a week. And I have 2 days to plan a date night. My original plan (which was a very good one) is out, because it's 105 degrees outside and nobody wants to walk around anywhere in that heat, even if it is the lovely botanical gardens. Meh. Well it's back to work for me.

No comments: