Thursday, April 19, 2007

Philosophy Experiment

I have decided that it's time for a little update of my relationship philosophy.

I'm tired of being surrounded by negativity! It seems like we all concentrate on negative things that happen, the things that bother us and the people that drive us crazy... the things that people do that hurt our feelings. But how often does the average person concentrate on something positive?

How often do you tell the people you are closest to how you really feel about them? Do you go beyond the perfunctory "please and thank you" dictated by good manners? If a friend or family member says or does something nice for you, or even if you just like being around them, do you tell them, or just think it to your self and go on about your business?

I know that personally I wonder a lot of times about the people who are closest to me. Am I a good friend? Am I someone other people enjoy spending time with? Because it is definitely true that when I have a party and no one shows up (which is usually the case.. although I have finally gotten the message that I have been inviting all the wrong people), I get my feelings hurt and decide that nobody really cares about me.

This is admittedly a dumb way to look at things (thus the philosophy change). Do other people do the same thing? Eh, probably. Most likely even people I love and care about. So I started this grand "new philosophy experiment" yesterday.

It works like this: Anytime I have a thought about doing something nice for someone, no matter who it is, I am going to follow up on it. I am going to actively do the things that will make people happy (including me) and actively ignore the negativism. In the long run, I think this philosophy will make me a better person, a better friend, a better family member, and a better Christian.

So.. here are the things I did yesterday as a result of this thing I am going to call NP (If you can think of a better name for it, comment it!):

1. I bought a card to send to my mother
2. I called PR and told him how much I enjoyed my trip to the marina with him last week, and also how glad I am that he is my friend. He is a great guy and I don't think I have ever told him that in the 12-13 years that we have known each other.
3. One of the directors at work (SM) brought us strawberries from the Edisto area yesterday. I went home and made strawberry jam with mine, and brought a jar for everyone in my office, and also a jar for SM to take home.

So far I have learned that:

1. People really want to hear good things, and most of them are really surprised when you do something nice out of the blue.
2. I have a lot more "nice" thoughts than I thought I did. This could get to be hard work! I might end up having to be nice all the time, if I'm going to follow up on all of them.
3. I'm suddenly kind of like "Earl" (as in, My Name Is..). I've got a list.

Heh. Me, having a list! Can you imagine??

Oh, and the Trigger Update.. It rained. :-( Trigger got brushed and petted a little, and then he went back to the pasture with his buddies. I will have to save my riding for Saturday, after he gets his new shoes.

2 comments:

The Princess said...

That's a Great Idea!! I'm sure you'll see that a lot of ppl are pleasentley surprised.I love you and will write or call u in a little bit, I'm getting ready to eat dinner. ;))

joe hall said...

Thanks B. You made my day. My week. My ... uh, yeah, you were also the one who finally got me going to NS.

Thank you for being stubborn, too.