Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Beef

Steak is one of the greatest culinary gifts God has given to humankind. There, I said it. I am a carnivore, and have been since birth. There is nothing like a nice, thick slab of beef for dinner, especially if you pair it with a big, salted, buttered, peppered potato and some salad. Top that with a good cabernet, and there's nothing better in the world.

So, here are my preferred methods of cooking steak... don't expect anything fancy, because steak is not only my favorite thing to eat, it's also the dish I prepare with the least fuss and complexity.

I like a nice, lean cut, like a NY Strip (yes, I know it has that "lip" of fat around the edge, and that is good-- gives it flavor-- but I don't personally choose marbled steaks like Ribeyes most of the time. Just my own preference). I also like filets, but the strip steak is my favorite. So.. I'll prepare my steaks in one of the following ways:

1) salt and pepper the steaks liberally. Then, place in a shallow dish and pour on a mixture of red wine and dry packaged italian dressing. Let the steaks marinate for a few hours in the fridge, then grill to medium rare.

2) The Sauce:

1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1/4 cup Cabernet or Merlot
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

Grill steaks, basting with the cabernet sauce (can you tell I like cabs?). Also grill a portobello mushroom and onion slice. Serve the steaks topped with grilled onion, mushroom, and sauce. (I don't usually like mushrooms, but I love the flavor of this dish!

3) Rub steaks with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. Grill and melt bleu cheese on top. Simple, but delicious!

4) A guilty, lazy secret: teriyaki sauce! Because sometimes only kikkoman will do. LOL

7 comments:

joe hall said...

Orp you had me fairly foaming at the bit with the beef recipe ... till I hit Rosemary. Rosemary? Really?
Bleah! I can't do it, reminds me too much of lamb, sweet little baby lambs. Ok, I'll try it.

o.r.p. said...

No problem.. just substitute it for something that you DO like. Basil? Oregano? Parsley? LOL Something interesting...

--b

Anonymous said...

What the heck , are you Martha Stewart now ????

Anonymous said...

What the heck, are you Martha Stewart now ???

neil

Anonymous said...

What the heck, are you Martha Stewart now ???

neil

o.r.p. said...

Neil, buddy! How ya been??
Nope, not Martha.. but shockingly domestic. ;)

--b

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»