Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Hills Are Alive.. WIth Old Lady Haircuts

Marriage and childbearing must have really aged my mother. She seems to have converted to full-coverage hyper-modesty the second my sister was born. I think the hairstyle she is going for here is either the Sound of Music or Jane Eyre.. or perhaps an ear-covering combination thereof. Her skin looks lovely though.. even though it's hard to look past the puffed sleeves and the giant neck-bow to notice.

Dad looks badly in need of a nap and a haircut. Little Kimmy has the most adorable arms I have ever seen in this picture. I just want to pinch them.

And then.. this happened. A few years later we see that Dad took his nap and got his haircut. The super-wide tie and its double windsor knot are quite retro. Mom has aged dramatically. This is the first picture with a hint of the downturned-smile that she later became famous for. You know it.. the excuse for a smile that says "I am doing this under duress. I am actually exquisitely miserable and you should feel terrible about yourself for ever expecting me to actually smile." This may have been brought on by the gigantic glasses that are threatening to eat her entire face and the fact that she added a huge neck-bow and polyester blouse to the kicky little ensemble she was wearing at 26. (See "Once Upon a Time.." posted a few days ago).

"Kimmy" is snaggletoothed and adorable. I look vaguely confused and badly in need of a latte. "How did I get here? What's going on? Can somebody direct me to the nearest Starbucks??" Only we didn't have Starbucks back then.

Wow, it really must have been worse than we remember, huh? ;-)

3 comments:

joe hall said...

One of the funniest posts I've read, ever. Had to stop reading three times just to wipe the tears from my eyes.

Hope you and I can meet in person sometime, I think yer cool.

The Princess said...

Hi, so these are great the hair/clothing is out of this world...Not even Austin Powers would LOVE it!!! OMG... when I get home I'm gonna post some new ones... heheheh this is quite amusing...
can't wait to visit...gonna also add a list of things we should do, also a further plan on what we discussed last night!!;) also gotta an idea for MOM's house...ever seen the TV show Clean House? MOm needs us to do clean house at her place... Might take a while though,how about we just do one room!!! heheheh I love you ttyl.

o.r.p. said...

Papa-Ridgeback.. I need some new pictures taken to counteract the horridity of the old ones i'm posting. Help me out, please? ;-)

And Princesse..
Clean House at Mom's would require a backhoe and a Hazmat team.. not to mention the three years it would take to actually finish her bedroom... lol
--b