Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Recap

I'm back! I am sure all of my readers (all two of you) have been waiting with bated breath to hear about my adventures in Tallahassee, and I'd hate to disappoint, so..

We had a pretty decent drive down, avoided the worst of the traffic. At one point during the drive I was laughing about our hands being the same size, when he asked me what my ring size is. Hm. Well. When we arrived, L's mom had the biggest ham I have ever seen in the oven. Thanksgiving day was a HUGE feast.. people kept showing up with more and more food, until there was no more fridge or counter space, and we were all sitting around semi-comatose. L set up the inflatable movie screen and watched movies with all the kids until it got too cold.

Friday L and I went to see "Bobby".. the new movie about the assassination of Robert Kennedy in 1968. It was a good movie. My mother would love it. L said (and I agree) that they seemed to go out of their way to make every woman in the movie look old and worn out, though. Anyway, Friday evening we met one of L's friends for drinks... I drank Cider Jack and ate one of the best bleu cheese and horseradish burgers I've ever had. Fries weren't bad either.

Saturday, L took off to the football game with his friends, and I was left to my own devices with his mother and sister and niece. Here's where things got interesting. ;) We must have gone to every yard sale on the eastern seaboard. We saw lots of dirty clothes for sale, lots of broken toys and tole painted wooden cutouts that said "Bless this Country Kitchen" and crap like that. I'd zip through pretty quick and be ready to head on back to the car, but L's mom likes to look at and consider every single item, as if every object in the universe were special. R, K, and I spent lots of time sitting in the car. The trunk filled up quickly.

After we exhausted the supply of yard sales, we started on thrift stores, and after those were done, we went to lunch at Wendy's, where L's mom tried my own fast-food creation.. french fries dipped in Frosty. She liked it, much to her surprise. L's niece recently got engaged, so there was much talk about wedding plans and much probing about what I thought about weddings and marriage, etc etc etc.

After lunch we went to Target, where we stayed for most of the decade. So L's mom turns to me in the middle of the baby section where we were looking for newborn baby sized socks for L's sister's dog (!) and says, "So.. what color of furniture will you have in your nursery?"

I stuttered a little bit, trying not to let out the guffaw that was threatening to burst out of my mouth. Forgetting a step, aren't we?? I wanted to laugh, but restrained myself. After all of the thinking I've done about the M-word lately, this all struck me as incredibly funny. I muttered something about "that could be ten years from now."

She stopped, open mouthed, and said "Oh dear, but my L would be fifty!!! That just won't do!" I tried to explain that I wasn't in any hurry, etc etc, that the ball was in his court, whatever. "Well is this because you aren't in a hurry, or because he's not? We need more grandchildren and I am getting to be an old lady!!!"

The funniest part was relating this conversation to L later. I thought he was going to have a stroke, he was laughing so hard. Then he told me about how his mom asks him if he has anything special to tell her every time they talk. How everyone expects a proposal at any moment. Kinda made the whole thing seem even funnier.

Anyway, tomorrow it's back to work and Tuesday I'm moving Trigger (who I missed terribly while I was gone) and then going to NC to take Mom to the doctor. When I get back, we're getting our Christmas tree and doing the shopping....

3 comments:

joe hall said...

I'm willing to board Trigger at my house. Free. There's lot of grass and you can come see him any time you want and the whole thing's his idea.

o.r.p. said...

What were you saying about the real cost of "free" things? LOL Horse ownership is costlier than I remembered.. ;)

When do you want to come see him? I am sure he is dying to meet you in person, after all the psychic messages...

--b

joe hall said...

Anytime. Any time.