Sunday, October 09, 2005

Mixed Feelings

I had a pretty good day yesterday. L and I went to look at the land, and we are both equally in love with it. We called the men who are selling it, and L is going to find out about financing options on Monday. He said he may buy both available pieces, if he can negotiate with them. I'm really excited about it.. it's exactly what we want, and only 15 minutes from work. It's perfect.

So here's where the mixed feelings come in... My ring didn't sell on ebay. I got a lot of bids, but they topped out at $400, and it's a $3,000 ring. $400 isn't going to do me much good. That wasn't even half of the reserve price. So.. I just listed it in the paper. I only felt bad for a minute.. I mean it's not as if I want to ever wear the thing again. I know I should sell it. After all, it would be just another means to an end. I know where i want to go, and what I have to get rid of to get there.

The debts have to go, and as quickly as possible. I can't let any stupid sentimentality get in my way. But for just a minute, every time I think of it, I feel like I'm losing something.

I am losing something. If I sell that ring, I'll be losing a car payment. That's enough for me. Or it should be.

And there's another thing I've learned from this whole experience.. buying things (with the exception of real estate) is a poor substitute for investment. Liquid cash is much better than any type of goods.. at least if you want to be able to use your money. It seems I always end up taking a loss when it comes to selling assets.

No comments: