Sunday, October 16, 2005

Drama, Drama, Melodrama

This weekend has been an exercise in endurance.

I went to take my mother to her doctor's appointment in Virginia, but the doctor called and rescheduled for Tuesday, which would be impossible for me to do. So it ended up being a visit. I drove up saturday, hung over and sleepy already. I hung out with Mom for a while, and then we went to dinner. Grandmother and grandfather didn't want to go with us, so they stayed down by the bonfire (they had been burning brush all day as they love to do) as the moon came up.

When we got back they were sitting in the living room, grandfather slumped over the kitchen table asleep, and grandmother lying in the automatic recliner. While down by the fire an hour or so earlier, grandmother had somehow broken her leg and fallen. Luckily she didn't fall into the fire.

It was weird.. here was grandmother obviously hurt, mom didn't want to make a decision, grandfather didn't want to make a decision, so everybody sat there and looked at her, expecting her to tell them what they should do. I called the hospital and then the ambulance to come and pick her up. We then spent the entire night at the hospital. We got back at 4:30 am, and the phone started ringing at 5. Needless to say I got very little sleep.

Today was the needlessly melodramatic discussion with my mother over her living situation, which has to change, and soon. I don't know what might have happened to grandmother if I had not been there. She was afraid to go to the hospital, and wanted to wait until her regular doctor's appointment on Tuesday. My guess is that if she had done that, she could have hurt herself much worse, or gotten infected or something...

Right now she is in the hospital and they are doing a CT scan tomorrow to see if they should operate to fix the femur, or if they should operate to replace the hip joint again. The current replacement is 10 years old, and is almost worn out anyway.

I think mom has tentatively agreed to look into a new plan. We'll see what happens in actuality.. we'll see.

When I got home, L was cooking salmon on the grill, steamed broccoli.. i was starving and in need of a hug. Damn he is the best boyfriend on the planet. The. Absolute. best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Princess said...

well you can certainly tell the first comment person read your blog with all the Stronger Ejac stuff...HAHAHAHEHEHE...
That is almost as unbelievable as the story itself...
I'm glad you made it home and are somwhere Outside of the twilight zone.
Talk to you tomarrow.

The Princess said...

CALL ME