Friday, November 16, 2007

You Be the Judge

I ask you, is this the face of a nut magnet? Someone who attracts crazy people?

At least, it is not the face of someone interesting enough to merit a decade-long obsession. Seriously.

At the risk of compromising the objectivity of my ethical question posts (snort!), I will admit that "Roy" is a real situation that I am really facing. He called L today. I am furious.

I don't know what he thinks he will say to L. I imagine that it will be the same speech he gave to J, long ago and far away. I'm sure he thinks that there is something he can say to L to make him not love me, or if that doesn't work, he will start making threats.

I find it unbelievable that someone who knew me for three months when I was 20 thinks that he knows more about me than the frikkin Love of my Life! The only upshot of this is that the idiot forgot to *67 or whatever, and now I have proof that it was him who called. I also have his address now, and thus so do the police. :-) I'm not playing with this nut. He needs to leave me alone.

But..
I am starting to understand why the freaks have congregated around me my entire life. And they have.. There was A, the serial JW dater. There was JN, the tortured comic book artist who was very gay and very much in denial. There was C, who didn't eat normal food and couldn't be "in love" with anyone who liked him back. There was R, who honestly thought that he was the second coming of Jesus Christ. There was the Awful Fact, who thought she could manipulate me into becoming a lesbian and running away with her, and who honestly believed that she could control the entire world through sorcery using a wooden spoon with a Star of David drawn on it and the contents of her spice rack. There was J, who thought no one else in the world had ever seen a war movie, and who at the age of 25 actually burst into tears because I wouldn't buy him a 1953-model car that wouldn't run.. never mind that we couldn't afford the house payment at the time.

I am sure that there are more. The point is that not everyone deserves a chance. Not everyone who wants to be in your life should be allowed to. Some people are batty. Some are crazy. And some are downright dangerous. It's okay to be pleasant to everyone you meet. It's okay to be civil. It is not okay to let some nutcase glom onto your life and suck you into a quagmire of spiraling bullsh!t just because they "want to be your friend."

You should choose your friends, and carefully! Don't let just anyone become your friends, just because they happen to be present and willing. No one is better than some people. Just saying.

Tomorrow: Trail Cleanup Day with Trigger!
Later: The Good Friends: What do you like about the people you hang out with??? What do you add to one another's lives? Think about it...

1 comment:

Francake said...

Funny that you say some people don't deserve a chance...on those silly myspace surveys some of them ask "do you believe in 2nd chances?" and I always write "the truth is that some people didn't deserve the first chance, or some even the first glance" It's so true. My old boyfriend K...ughhh. I hope where ever he is, he's in AA by now. Or actually, I don't b/c I dont care (aside from hurting someone else due to drunk driving).
Now about friends, did you ever have a mean girlfriend growing up? You know, the girl that was more popular than you and being friends with her made you more popular but she bullied you? I have been meaning to write a blog on the Allure of The Mean Girl for a while now.
OK Have a great weekend, B!