Sunday, October 28, 2007

Take it DOWN a Notch

Dear Readers:

Am I the only one who does this?

By "this" I mean taking on so many projects and responsibilities and obligations that I overwhelm myself and get burned out and depressed? I get burned out because I don't sleep enough, and I'm always on someone else's clock. I get depressed and really p.o.'d because the harder I work, the less ANYONE appreciates either me or the work I do.

Cases in point:
1) My job. 'Nuff said.
2) I have volunteered for my HOA for the past 6 months or so. It has become almost IMPOSSIBLE to get the board members to submit material for the monthly newsletter, but I am still supposed to have one every month, all printed and ready to be distributed to the 137 houses in this neighborhood, who don't care if it comes or not.
3) L and I even succumbed to the pressure and agreed to host the Halloween party for the neighborhood. It was last night. After decorating the clubhouse all day, cooking, setting up everything, and getting dressed in costumes, we sat there and watched a movie at the clubhouse by ourselves before we packed up our sh!t and went home.

(What ever convinces me to have parties? I have never had one in my entire life that was a success. I buy food and drinks, plan for weeks, work my butt off cleaning and cooking and planning and decorating, and then eat my g.d. snacks by myself. Why even bother?)

So what should I learn from this? It would be easy to just start feeling like nobody likes me. I get that distinct impression every time the party thing happens. Or I could just stop agreeing to do things for people.

I really do think that 3/4 of the people I think are my friends would disappear QUICK if I stopped buying lunch, helping them out, etc. (Though some of them may surprise me. Not sure about that..) And if that's the case.. who needs 'em?

Those of you reading this.. well most of you aren't like that. I know. I am just venting about the other 95%.

I'm going to the grocery store with L. At least he comes to all the parties. ;-)

4 comments:

Francake said...

Boo-Hiss! I hate that your Halloween party was the pits! I also tend to be too giving but I read in that book The Secret to stop so I've been trying to. I will do so much for a person and then end up resenting them when really it was my idea to go out of my way...not theirs.
I know one party I can't wait to attend...your big day!

Anonymous said...

People are terrible with that RSVP thing too anymore .....

Neil DImon

o.r.p. said...

Fran- I do that, too! Maybe I need to read The Secret.. LOL I will put it on my library list now. :-)

ND- The thing is, 20 people RSVP'd for this thing.. none actually showed up! It's amazing.

--b

Anonymous said...

I hate when people RSVP and then don't show. It's really quite rude.

Were I there I would have come!!