Sunday, January 29, 2006

Strange Movies

We rented a couple of movies this weekend. Both were kind of arty, kind of odd.. thought one was much better than the other. One was the Constant Gardener.. I saw a lot of things in the movie that brought back memories of my trip to Africa. It was a sad but strange movie.

The one we watched tonight was the River King, about a cop investigating a kid's death by drowning in some frozen northern town. A few implied and gratuitous sex scenes, a contrived ghost subplot which turned out to be ...nothing, and a final determination that the kid did commit suicide, and so did the cop's brother when he was a child, so the cop was getting his brother's death and this kid's mixed up in his mind, etc etc bla bla bloa.

I was not impressed. It had a few pretty scenes in it, but a few that made no sense.

Anyway.. in other news this weekend, L and I went on our first house hunting excursion with an agent. We looked at 4 houses.. only one we would ever consider living in. One of them was horrible. It was really dirty and the neighborhood looked like it aspired to be a redneck neighborhood, but couldn't quite cut it.

I also discovered that I hate zero lot lines, and I'd rather have an old old old house in a nice neighborhood than a brand new house in a cookie cutter subdivision with no yard. I also discovered that Easley is a strange town. You can have a subdivision with $300K houses that backs up to a trailer park full of single wides circa 1962. It's bizarre.

And this week I have a class to teach in Columbia on Tuesday, 4 proposals due, materials to get ready for a class to teach next Monday, a songwriting workshop on Saturday, and god only knows what else.,..

I think it's time to get my stuff ready for tomorrow and get some sleep...

2 comments:

The Princess said...

Yeah some movies are odd...in the end they are more confusing than in the beginning. I watched one I liked this weekend though called HUSTLE & FLOW, it was good but the extra scenes and comentary about the making of the movie, the DVD extras I guess you'd call it were awesome. I really liked the movie. Anyways I had a fun but EXHAUSTING weekend,so I'll try to blog tomarrow, miss you and LOVE you too.=)

The Princess said...

check it out so many times......