Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I Don't Care What You Think

Nice title, huh? One day it will be true.

I have to stop being such a soft touch. Obviously I am an easy target, otherwise I wouldn't get my feelings hurt by people that I know should not merit a second thought. Like H.

I didn't go on Sunday to bury Gracie. My reasons were pretty straightforward. They're basically the same reasons I didn't go back to see Amara after we sold her, even though the new owner said I was welcome. I couldn't bear to look at her and know she wasn't mine anymore.

I tried to distance myself before any of this ever happened, because I knew I was setting myself up to get my heart broken by getting so attached to her. I knew that I'd have to deal with H if I ever wanted to buy her, and that she'd make sure I could never afford her. It didn't help, but I tried. I had my reasons, and obviously they weren't good enough. Tough shit.

1) I didn't want to watch her die. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I didn't want to watch her die.
2) I didn't feel exactly welcome, not after H went all norman bates on me. I saw no reason to subject myself to that, a fact which I discussed with L and he agreed.
3) I've already been accused of having an affair with M, by H. How was it going to look, if I was running off to Georgia with him every weekend, and showing up with him in Hendersonville? Even if it was for Gracie, I wasn't willing to put myself in that position. Is that so wrong of me? The truth is that as far as H is concerned, she's trying to project her failings onto me. I'm damned with her no matter what I do. Or what I don't do. She'd far rather accuse me and M of something that admit to what she's done.

And yet, M tells me that I was a subject of conversation that day because I didn't go. That I abandoned Gracie, as if I didn't love her. And I'm such a damn soft touch that I feel like I have to defend myself against that.

Well screw that. I've put enough of my tears and sadness and suffering on display in the past 28 years. I don't want to do that anymore, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to put me down because I refuse to grieve in public.

I'm tired of feeling guilty for no reason. And whatever H thinks is no reason to feel guilty. I had reasons for not going, and they were good ones. And as much as I hate it, Gracie is another part of my life that I have to shut the door on (like J), because it hurts too damn much and I refuse to wallow in it. H doesn't like it? Feh. It isn't as if she's my friend or anything. She has made that abundantly clear.

I'm getting tired of shutting doors this year.

2 comments:

The Princess said...

your right, she would have loved for you to come so she could make further accusations about M, and watch you suffer through burying Gracie. Misery loves company.
You did the right thing, who cares what she thinks, you had your reasons and it dosen't matter what anyone thinks they were YOUR reasons.
I know it hurts for people to reject us and put us down, but when you step back and look at the person for who they are and what their motives are you see the picture in a whole new light!
i love you and keep your chin up!!

Juliet said...

your smart not to put yourslef in a situation where she can beat on you when your already down...