Friday, February 10, 2006

Insanity Continued

So.. this week..

Monday- The workshop was great, and I think it will open the door for more contracts. I was tired, but happy. That afternoon I went to band practice, where we basically blew the doors off of everything we played. We laid down 4-part harmony on one of L's songs, and it sounds phenomenal! I am so excited about this band.. The guys are so sweet and fun to work with and creative and I love every one of them.

Tuesday- Songwriters' meeting after another hectic day at work. I was tired and felt stretched out, so when I had a song critiqued and they actually had something to say, I got bummed out a little. They were right, of course, and pointed out some very good points, which I made note of and I will change the song. But I also don't want to lose my unique style by doing this. I am not writing for Nashville, and I don't want to change every song I write to fit that mold. And it is a mold. And I am allergic to mold.

Wednesday- Open Mic night at the Coffee Underground. A was supposed to come, but something came up and she couldn't. L came, and was supportive and sweet as always. M from the band came, which surprised me, but he just missed my set. He hung out for a while, though, and it made me happy that he made the trip up there just for me.

The open mic night was the strangest thing I have ever seen. There were a few acts there who were serious musicians, but for the most part, there was this strange group of kids... I couldn't decide if they were college kids or high school.. but they were freaking weird.

One obviously wanted to be Jim Morrison so bad he could taste it. Another was a girl in a vintage dress with a red guitar and a passably decent voice, who sang about cream cheese melting in the sun and crap. She reminded me a little of Phoebe from Friends. She also played with something that called itself a band.. they randomly strummed and banged on their instruments, with no worries about what key they were in or whether there was any rhythm at all. It was all very random and strange. It got real old real fast.

Aside from the weirdos, there was a guy there from the songwriters' group who is very sweet. He is a William Hung kind of guy. He does have some talent as a songwriter, but his delivery is eccentric.. he chooses strange words sometimes and.. you'd just have to hear it. The combination, however, is at once hilarious and endearing, especially when he writes about things like Star Wars and King Kong.

Overall it was loads of fun and I did get invited to play at a folk festival in NC in April. We'll see if I actually do it, but it was cool to be invited.

Tonight we are going to look at houses.. hopefully we will love one of them. And we are bringing the camera.. so.. maybe some pics later? Keep your fingers crossed. :)

No comments: