Sunday, February 13, 2005

Pat Parelli is a Genius

I started to learn how to train horses yesterday. I have always wanted to do that, but never knew what steps to take. I worked with a tall bay saddlebred mare all day, and made more progress with her in 3 hours than I did with my own horses in 3 years. It was incredible.

So now I am back in the land of horses. My parents always wished I'd grow out of it, and they thought I had. But I guess once you're a horse person, you are always a horse person.

Parelli's method uses nothing but a couple of ropes and a stick to teach horses everything they need to know. No tying tongues down, like they did at the stable I used to ride with. No breaking tails, no hobbling, no whipping. Parelli teaches you how to make your horse want to do things for you. So.. I have another hobby. I'll have to cram it in there somewhere with the painting, the scrapbooking, the music, the writing... and the blog now.