Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The State of the Union

Despite the fact that I do not own a tv, I watched the President's address tonight. I found myself nodding my head a lot. I'd do a blow-by-blow, but I think millions of other bloggers will be doing just that tonight, so I'll spare you the details and get down to o.r.p. reactions.

1) The STATE OF THE UNION graphic on MSNBC looked somehow strange and depressing. It did not fit the positive flavor of the speech at all.

2) Hillary Clinton looked seriously pissed off throughout.

3) I was glad to see President Bush take the bull by the horns, so to speak, on all of the major issues. I was hoping that he wouldn't "pussy foot around" as my mother is fond of saying. He did not disappoint on that score. I don't agree with every position that he takes.. but at least he tells it like he sees it and doesn't just try to please everybody. There is nothing worse than a mealy mouthed politician who doesn't ever take a stand on anything. Hell, replace the word "politician" with "person" and you'll just about have it.

4) Loved the Iraqi lady. Loved the purple fingertips too.

5) The couple from Kentucky whose son, a Marine, was killed in Fallujah.. wow. The emotion on that lady's face.. I could tell that she was trying very hard not to lose it. I don't blame her a bit.. it was a very emotional moment, especially for those parents. I hope that more than a few people felt the need to stop and think about what they owe to the men and women in uniform..veterans who fought for our freedom, and soldiers who are now fighting for the freedom of other people.

6) The message of the entire speech according to o.r.p.: Freedom is a good thing. Let's have more of it.

7) I enjoy listening to the state of the union address, and I would like to see the President in person sometime, if only because he's the President and I've never met one before. However, I would not like to attend the state of the union address in person. Stand up. Sit down. Stand up, sit down. Clap. Clap. Clap. Stand up. Sit down. Clap. Stand up. Clap. I can hold my own on a stairstepper or a weight room, but I don't think I could hang with Congress when it comes to ovations.

1 comment:

Nimba and Rubi said...

funny girl!