Thursday, May 13, 2010

Time Goes By

I always decide that I'm going to blog every day again.. or at least more often.. and then the next time I remember or have a chance to do it, a month has gone by! Oh well. Not that I have too many disappointed readers or anything. ;-)

Today I am thinking about workplace politics and how utterly weird people are. Seriously, adults are just 4-year-olds with money. I am continually amazed by the general stupidity that goes on every day. I don't see it in my department as much because I think we all have at least a modicum of sense.. but in other areas.. honestly I wonder how the organization has survived this long!

Organizations always have more problems the bigger they are, though. The leadership becomes disconnected from the actual work or product or output of the organization, and they make decisions based on self interest, popular opinion, or misinformation, without considering the ramifications. People at the lower end of the totem pole disengage, check out, and just clock in for a paycheck. There's no pride in doing a good job or anything.. just a stupid sense of entitlement. The few who do actually care about doing a good job or improving the company are quickly jettisoned or are beaten into submission (or worse, apathy).

Eventually the poorest performers are promoted to leadership, where they take a bad problem and make it worse. And eventually the people who actually care (at all levels) move on.

Please, God, let me move on.

No comments: